Thursday 25 October 2018

Namibia: letter to Krabbenhoft & Lampe Guest House in Luderitz

#Lüderitzbucht #Namibia #SWA #Luderitz #CharlieMonroe #Eberlein #KrabbenhoftLampeGuestHouse #warthog #history

Letter to Krabbenhoft & Lampe Guest House located in Luderitz, Namibia
Hello - My name is Charlie Monroe and I have an interesting story to tell you!!

I am currently writing a piece about that time period for my wife and other relatives for family history purposes. I came across Herman's very comical retelling of something that happened in your store back then.
My wife's grandfather, Herman Kolberg lived in Lüderitzbucht in the 1920's for awhile. They had moved there from Gobabis.

Herman's daughter, Gretel, believe it or not, had a pet warthog that she found as a baby in Gobabis. When they moved to Lüderitz, they brought the piglet, named Eberlein with them. Apparently, Eberlein had a bit of "free reign" and would wander around town. One day she wandered in the the K & L store and found out quickly that she loved cheese!! She consumed most of it in the deli case that you had back then because no one really knew how to get a warthog out of a store without getting hurt!! Needless to say, she was never "allowed" back in!! I just looked up K & L online and was surprised to see that your build is still there after all this time and thriving. Now you have a little story you can pass on to your guests!!

If, by chance, you happen to see any information around about Herman Kolberg or his daughter, my wife's mother, Gretel Kolberg, I was appreciate having it passed on to me!!  Thanks so much!! It's nice to see a piece of history preserved!!

Sincerely,
Charlie Monroe
YouTube channel: Exploring Namibia
Purchase photo/4K video: portfolio
Aerial photo/video service & other inquiries contact: info@traveltonamibia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment